Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
What do people think about integrating directly with Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy?

I think what's clear right now is that Telepathy has no future and should be immediately removed from our stack. We should have done that years ago when maintenance ceased.

I don't think we need to discuss what, if anything, should replace it right now. The community consensus seems to be Matrix, and I'm hoping to see a successful GNOME Matrix client in the near future. I know there are multiple efforts at to make one right now. But people are clearly working on libpurple too, and that's fine. We can let it play out and decide in a couple of years if or how we want to bring back desktop integration for chat. In the meantime, as a longtime Empathy user and a recent convert to Polari, the current state of Telepathy integration in gnome-shell is not valuable to me.

Michael