Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 17:43 +0100, Matthew Hodgson wrote:

Just to be clear, Matrix is *not* trying to be a
one-protocol-to-rule-them-all, any more than libpurple is trying to be
one-API-to-rule-them-all.  Matrix is just doing the same thing:
abstracting multiple networks behind a single API.  The difference to
libpurple is that the abstraction happens serverside by default rather
than clientside.

(Although we do have matrix-appservice-purple, which uses libpurple
serverside as a way to bridge to other networks, a bit like bitlbee but
talking Matrix on the frontend rather than IRC).

What is the user experience here? Not like users being expected to do
something "a bit like" setting up bitlbee, one hopes? :)

If I've got this shiny new Matrix-replaces-Telepathy GNOME system, and
I want to add a new account with a new protocol... what do I need to
do? Let's assume I've just installed the appropriate distro package,
and want to take it from there. (Although do feel free to talk about
how it auto-installs the correct protocol package on demand, if you
prefer).