Re: Librsvg 2.40.20 is released and is the last release in the 2.40.x series

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl gmail com> wrote:
I think Debian should start using librsvg 2.41 and arch teams should
just deal with that reality.

We can't do that unfortuanetly, as this would make librsvg
uninstallable on half of our architectures. Which in turn means the
library could never migrate to testing.

In my experience, arch teams will always take the path of least
resistance. That path is rarely, if ever, the correct path for the
rest of the distro to take. If arch teams had their way, no system
libraries would ever be ported to Rust.

It's not that arch teams are lazy, they're just overworked and the
build machines are crappy and slow.

The situation around rust has to improve first before we can consider that.

The situation *will not improve* till core packages start requiring
Rust which will force arch teams to deal with the situation instead of
postponing it forever. I suspect it will happen soon regardless of
what librsvg does, because Firefox is never going to stop requiring
Rust.

Actually, looking at the tier-2 support criteria[1], mips, sparc,
sparc64, s390, ppc, and ppc64 are guaranteed to build upstream and
they FTBFS in Debian, so something is off here.

Cheers,
Nirbheek