Re: Thoughs about communication

Hi Matthew!

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:43 AM Matthew Hodgson <matthew matrix org> wrote:
On 26/01/2017 22:52, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> It would be really awesome to have a GNOME Chat app based on Matrix.
> Instead of implementing support for multiple protocols in the app,
> like we did with Empathy, it would focus on doing one thing well --
> Matrix, both text and video chat (OK, two things) -- and then the
> quality of the support for other protocols would depend on the
> quality of Matrix bridges and would not be something the app has to
> worry about. Trying to support 20 different protocols really took its
> toll on the Empathy user experience. Requires manpower. Maybe someone
> will see this mail and become interested. Maybe not.

On the Matrix side: whilst I haven't played with it myself,
matrix-glib-sdk (https://github.com/gergelypolonkai/matrix-glib-sdk) was

We''ll take a look at it.

looking like quite a good foundation for a GNOME Matrix client.  As I
understand it, the only reason that Gergely stopped work on it was that
the impedance mismatch between Matrix & Telepathy was too great -
specifically, Telepathy lacked support for eventually consistent
infinite history which is one of the main defining properties of Matrix.

I think it is clear that neither he nor us should worry about Telepathy and he should feel free to develop without any regard to Telepathy.

I suspect that resuming work there (potentially by Gergely, if he saw
interest from the wider GNOME community) is very much an option, and
obviously we'd support this as much as we can from the Matrix core team.

There are two of us who are interested in writing a client.  We would be happy to work with Gergely on creating something that would work sufficiently well for the GNOME community.

  The Matrix client-server API has not changed much over the last 11
months, other than the addition of end-to-end encryption (although this
is still somewhat in flux whilst in beta).

We will keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, we'd be well up for running an official gimpnet Matrix<->IRC
bridge on matrix.org; we'll get one set up next week assuming that
sounds good.  I'm assuming that if we connect via IPv6 we don't even
need a dedicated I:line.

So for now, let's focus on having an interface to the #engagement and #gnome channel and a #gnome channel on freenode.  I will respect Carlos's wishes on not having an interface on #newcomers until he feels it is ready to do that.

If anybody want to volunteer a channel for iniital bridging, please speak up and we will add it.  #gnome-hackers was mentioned before, but I don't think that is sufficiently a good place to land people from matrix IMHO due to cultural differences and honestly it is a place for our devs to hang out as a social channel.  Like Carlos, I'll figure out when is the right time to add it.

If you can document here how to access it from riot.im, that would be appreciated.  We'll try to put it in the wiki at some point.

Thanks for reaching out to us, Matthew, we appreciate it!

sri

thanks,

Matthew

--