Re: Thoughs about communication

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:07:13AM +0100, Alexandre Franke wrote:
Agreed. I thought one of the arguments in favour of keeping Telepathy
around was the support for some ???uncommon??? protocols that are not
really supported elsewhere though? [0]

[snip]

[0] One possible answer would maybe be that those networks don't have
the critical mass required for us to spend our rare workforce on and
that we expect third party (libpurple-based?) clients to take care of
that market.

Among the free software Telepathy connection managers, the XMPP
implementation was the only one that was really very good. For the
more uncommon protocols, Telepathy already depends on libpurple via
telepathy-haze. Sometimes, these days, directly using libpurple via
pidgin is a much better option than going via Telepathy.

Guess why Pidgin showed up in RHEL 7.3. ;)