Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On 2017-05-16 09:22 AM, Allan Day wrote:
We are confident that GitLab is a good choice for GNOME, and we can’t
wait for GNOME to modernise our developer experience with it. It will
provide us with vastly more effective tools, an easier landing for
newcomers, and lots of opportunities to improve the way that we work.
We're ready to start working on the migration.

I only lurk here, so I don't often offer an opinion, but I do maintain the GitLab install at my medium-sized company.

My problem with GitLab is how fluid it is. The underlying technologies keep changing, and it's a real pain staying up to date. If you get behind at all with the updates, it's quite a chore to upgrade, and half way through you find out you need a new Ruby, need to upgrade through a couple of packaging systems for node, and really, you should just upgrade to Debian unstable (that last one is a bit of an exaggeration). Expect a new user interface experience every four months.

That's not to say that it's fragile. It's been rock-solid for us. It's just hard to recommend something you can't predict, running ever-changing technologies that no sysadmin can comfortably stay on top of.

--Pat