Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 01:42:15AM +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
Github/gitlab wants to force you to fork the project into a public
repository on your private account so that you can make a pull
request. This is seriously stupid IMO and very poor workflow. That's
the reason why github/gitlab is absolutely littered with useless
repositories containing absolutely no difference with the upstream
repository (except they are outdated since the person didn't touch it
for months). I'm sure trash "fork" repositories are the majority of
github/gitlab contents.

Once your commit is merged upstream, you can delete your fork repo (but
yes, maybe the majority of people don't do it).

On GitHub at least it's easy to see if a repo is a fork, with a link to
the upstream repo.

Most developers are more familiar with the GitHub workflow, I think it's
an easier workflow than attaching a patch to a bugtracker ticket. Once
the contributor has pushed a branch on the fork repo, all the rest can
be done from the web interface by clicking on some buttons.

--
Sébastien