Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 14:22 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
The outcome of this evaluation process is that we are recommending
that GNOME sets up its own GitLab instance, as a replacement for
Bugzilla and cgit.

        Hi,
with respect of the cgit, it lets me download sources (snapshot) as
a .zip and a .tar.xz. The gitlab offers .zip, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 and
.tar. I think there had been some good reasoning for projects to do
releases as .tar.xz (maybe it was even a GNOME Goal, I do not recall,
neither cannot find it), it's quite efficient with compression, thus it
would make sense to teach gitlab to use it beside .zip, instead of
those three not-that-useful-these-days .tar variants.

Would they do it upstream, or you'll need to patch it downstream, or
it's just some option somewhere?
        Bye,
        Milan