Re: Meson feedback as a user

On 27 November 2017 at 09:49, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On 24 November 2017 at 14:49, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
 - Drop the "enable" from --enable-foo boolean options; Meson has
boolean values, so -Denable-foo=true would read as redundant, and
-Denable-foo=false would read as contradictory. Use -Dfoo=true or
-Dfoo=false instead

I'm guilt of this, I'll fix up my projects, but before I do is there
any list of best practices? e.g. should it be

It would be great if Meson modules would also be able to define
options, so we would not need to deal with gtk-doc and
gobject-introspection. Until that happens, though, I kind of trust the
judgement of GNOME maintainers.

* -Dgtk_doc=true, -Dgtkdoc=true or -Ddocs=true?

It depends if you're gating other kind of documentation, like man
pages, using the same option.

Personally, I prefer `docs` as a catch-all.

* -Dintrospection=true or -Dgobject_introspection=true?

Up to you. I have a slight preference for `introspection`.

* -Dman=true or -Dman_pages=true

You can use `man`, or you could gate both API references and man pages
under the same option. In many cases, man pages are generated from the
same DocBook XML format anyway.

* -Dconsolekit=false or -DConsoleKit=false

That's kind of esoteric; it's up to you, but think of the people that
need to type this out. ;-)

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--