Re: Application name strings consistency

Jeremy Bicha <jbicha ubuntu com> wrote:
The other thing we can do in Software is think
about making the developer more prominent.

Like using "GNOME Files" in GNOME Software as was suggested by
everyone in this thread who expressed a preference?

I'm thinking more of what you often see in other software stores,
where the developer will appear in small text below the application
name. That way the app name remains intact but the creator is also
shown.

Files also suffers from the problem of zero info in the About dialog
to tell you where the app came from or what the app really is. It
doesn't link to a homepage. It doesn't mention GNOME. It doesn't
mention that you'll need to know the word "nautilus" in order to file
a bug or find the source code.

Yes, I think we should investigate this more closely. Although,
Bastien has been agitating against About dialogs in general!

I recommend that GNOME apps follow this pattern (using
gnome-tweak-tool as an example).
Primary user visible name:     Tweaks
About dialog:     GNOME Tweaks
Appstream metadata:     GNOME Tweaks

I'm not sure that those changes alone will be sufficient. Actually,
the more I think about this issue, the more complex it seems. I think
it's worth studying it in a little more detail before committing to
any changes. I've started a whiteboard page where we can collect notes
[1].

Thanks,

Allan

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Whiteboards/CoreAppPresentation