Re: (*) No summarized news available (was: GNOME 3.29.1 released)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 4:31 AM, Kalev Lember <kalevlember gmail com> wrote:
I believe the way it works is that it takes the previously released
module's NEWS (evolution-data-server 3.28.1) and compares it to the
newly released module's NEWS (evolution-data-server 3.29.1), and then
shows added lines.

In this case however, the 3.29.1 NEWS file only had 3.28.0 entries
(3.28.1 must have been released off a branch, so its news didn't get
added to master) and when diffing those two it presumably gets a bunch
of removed lines (3.28.1 entries removed) and a bunch of added lines
(3.29.1 added), which confuses it.

Something that module maintainers can do here as a fix would be to
cherry pick any 3.28.x NEWS entries to the master branch before
releasing first 3.29.x release. That's just needed for the first 3.29.x
release, after that it should be fine to not cherry pick news entries
any more.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Milan, you're not doing anything wrong: it's common practice for maintainers to not copy the stable branch news. I've usually ignored this problem and tolerated that the NEWS doesn't show up for my first release after branching. But this time around, I decided to copy the news from 3.28, which is why the Epiphany news showed up. If you want it to show up, that's what you have to do. I think I might do this for my modules from now on, because it makes it easier to follow the changes from the previous stable release, rather than repeating all the changes that already went into 3.28.1.

Of course, you're welcome to try improving the ftpadmin script to improve the situation. I believe Olav knows where the git repo for it is.

Michael