About lib version and git

Hello,

I don't know how to manage this without breaking things so I'm asking
for your advise to follow the best release, version and git guidelines.

I'm talking about libgepub [1]. This lib exports a gir interface to
manage epub docs and it's used by gnome-documents.

The current version of the lib is the 0.5.3. We've some changes that
breaks the gir API so the next version with this changes will be 0.6.0.

Currently we've the stable 0.5.3 in master and the API break changes in
a new branch called next. I want to move all development to master and
keep tags for stable versions, but I don't know if that movement will
break gnome building with continuous or jhbuild.

Questions:

1. It's recommended to use the same version number as gnome or should I
continue to use my own version?

2. If we move the api break changes to master it's recommended to
upgrade the version number or it's better to change just before the
release? I think we should upgrade the API version as soon as we add
API breaks to it.

Regards.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libgepub