Re: Python 2 support in GNOME build tools

Le dim. 15 juil. 2018 à 12:55, Christoph Reiter via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> a écrit :
> Slow-releasing/stable/"enterprise" distributions like RHEL, Debian,
> Ubuntu LTS and SLED are the usual sticking point for dependency versions.
>
> My understanding is that the main blocker for using Python 3 is
> that RHEL/CentOS 7 doesn't have it built-in, only as part of a secondary
> "software collection"?

Yeah, that's also what I heard when the topic came up on IRC, but similarly
vague re RHEL.. :)

> For what it's worth, requiring Python 3 would be no problem from Debian's
> perspective, as long as it isn't assumed to be /usr/bin/python: for
> compatibility with historical scripts, if /usr/bin/python exists then
> it is always Python 2, while Python 3 is available at /usr/bin/python3
> if installed. Using Python 3 for all programs that can work in either
> version is recommended, and in particular we've used Python 3 for the GLib
> and GObject-Introspection build tools since Debian 9 'stretch' (2017).
>
> We don't normally backport the latest GNOME versions to stable releases
> anyway; but if we do, the latest stable release (Debian 9 'stretch')
> has Python 3.5 as its supported Python 3 version, and the one before that
> (Debian 8 'jessie', 2015) had 3.4.
>
> Ubuntu is in about the same situation as Debian, with new LTS releases
> every 2 years, although a year out of phase with Debian (the most recent
> LTS releases were in 2018 and 2016 and have contemporary Python 3 versions).

That's good to know, thanks!

I'll try to summarize the remaining cases:

SLED/SLES:

They use old versions [0] [1], so unlikely that they will try to backport
things now imo. I couldn't find a working package index for SLED, I assume it
is similar to SLES.

[0] https://www.suse.com/LinuxPackages/packageRouter.jsp?product=server&version=12&service_pack=&architecture=x86_64&package_name=libglib-2_0-0
[1] https://www.suse.com/LinuxPackages/packageRouter.jsp?product=server&version=11&service_pack=&architecture=i386&package_name=glib2

Just some more informations regarding SUSE Linux Enterprise:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 won't get any new service pack, so we won't push any version update of glib2. If fixes needed to be backported to customers, we'll have it (like we already
did in the past).
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 will have some service pack planned for release, but so far, we have no plans to update glib2 nor GNOME in those service packs. We will stick to GNOME 3.20 for SLE12.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 is released to the public TODAY and is using python3 by default (when it is possible), so it shouldn't be any concern. SLE15 is shipped with GNOME 3.26 and we will update
the GNOME stack with future service packs.

I hope this helps everybody.

Frédéric Crozat