Re: Check your default window size!

On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 09:21 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
      Hi,

On Mon, 2018-03-19 at 16:49 -0500, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
Sometimes it's easy for a developer to forget what a new user sees
when opening an app for the first time.

I agree, the first impression is important.

Some of our apps (*cough* email clients *cough*)

I hope you get better with that coughing soon, just do not
underestimate it.

have default window sizes that are waaay too small. Check yours
out!
Increase the default window size if needed.

Well, in case of Evolution, there is no default window size. What it
opens with is the size calculated by gtk+, just like for any other
dialog, thus the minimum required size for the widgets in the window.
What might look odd with high-resolution devices is pretty fine for
low-resolution devices. What is the correct default value then? I
guess
there's none good, none which would work for all devices.

Maybe "workaround" it by setting the window to open maximized by
default? That's the way GNOME work flow looks like these days anyway,
focus on one thing only, right? That won't work when user unmaximizes
the window, but at least the first impression will be somewhat sane.

Please, no. Perhaps maximized vertically, not full screen. Epiphany
used to open the private window always maximized, after unmaximized
became a little window. It was very annoying in a not so big screen
(27"). I stopped using Epiphany because of that, and when that was
fixed, I was already used to Firefox. [1]

Try to find a sensible default, whatever that means ;-)

[1] I know this is only anecdata, so take it with a grain of salt.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/