Re: Retiring app menus - planning for 3.32.0

Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
With regard to dropping the 'quit' action, is there any guidance for
background applications? That is, apps where closing all windows does
*not* exit the application, but the explicit 'quit' action does.

GIven that this is only relevant to apps that run in the background, I
don't think it makes sense to show it as a standard menu item. Third
party apps can provide their own Quit item if they want to, since I
know there's some different behaviours out there for that.

In general I think I'd probably go for no Quit item in GNOME apps that
run in the background, mostly because I think it's cleaner and easier
to understand if you separate the running state from whether a window
is open. For example, a chat app can be online/offline as well as
open/closed.

Allan