Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

El jue., 25 abr. 2019 a las 10:13, Michael Gratton (<mike vee net>) escribió:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 00:20, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
> We should go to reasonable lengths to avoid offending reasonable
> people, but if someone is offended by innocuous phrases like Master's
> degree, master plumber, Masterpiece Theater, or the word "masterful,"
> then I'd suggest rethink why and consider that it's probably not
> reasonable.

This is objection 1) from the original proposal. Sadly, neither you,
nor I, nor dictionaries get to choose what terms carry current or
historical significance, positive or negative.

> Naming your primary branch something other than the
> universally-accepted default branch name is going to confuse and
> irritate an awful lot of developers for almost no benefit.

This is objection 2) from the proposal. How specifically will it cause
confusion and irritation given that, as I have pointed out, the
disruption is essentially minimal?

Do we need to remember you again the incovenients of your change? Damned Lies is broken in Geary's module (cherry-pick doesn't work), developers and contributors get confused if modules name their master branches to whatever maintainers decide, you have broken GNOME's standard naming for development branches, your arguments about Django, Rust, Linux Kernel are false, you've done this change without asking the community, which is clearly against it... do you want more reasons?

In any case, there are several clear and positive benefits of doing
this. Aside from it simply being the right thing to do, it also helps
addresses Timm's concern about lack of developers - the whole point of
improving social inclusivity is to widen the pool of people who would
be interested in contributing to the project.

We took a step in the right direction with the CoC, lets finish the job
properly.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.