Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 09:55, Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 14:40, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 1:45 PM Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:

 For making this change properly, I have some questions:
- Is there a possibility to redirect master to any other name somehow?

Oh, that is a good question. A quick search finds

 $ git symbolic-ref refs/heads/master refs/heads/mainline

If that works for non-local branches (i.e. "origin/master"), then this
would fully address my concern. As long as random
git-tutorials/stackoverflow-answers keep working, we don't end up
adding friction for newcomers and it boils down to us getting used to
a different word. Having made the switch from svn-trunk to git-master
in the past, I'm confident that we can manage that :-)

Same. :)

I just tried this out, but I can't see how to push the symref to the repo - it might need to be something that happens on the repo side. I'll have a chat with our systems people to see if we can set it up for Geary.

This would be a good migration plan if it does work, the git update hooks on the server could emit a warning when someone pushes to the alias to indicate master is deprecated and will go away, and offer a link to help explain how to migrate to the new default.

On this further, av just added the symref from master to mainline using the command above in Geary's repo on the server (thanks av!). As a result, I can do e.g. `git push origin master` and the additional commits being pushed will be added to the mainline branch, as expected. The symref'ed master branch shows up in gitlab, which is potentially confusing, but it's clearly not labelled as the default branch which is fine for the moment.

So that, along with the deprecation warning and link suggested above when pushing to it, means we could keep a symref'ed master branch around for like a year or two to give people a little bit of time and direction to get used to it, without breaking a thing.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>