Re: GitLab mirror considered harmful

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 5:58 PM Philip Chimento wrote:
> Could we take it all the way and just push the PR branch to "$github_user_name/$branch_name"
> in the main repository on GitLab, and open a merge request automatically, then instruct the
> auto-close bot to direct the person to GitLab, possibly telling them how to create an account
> as well?

Maybe even one step further: find out whether the contributor has an
account on our gitlab (same email? Used their github account for
authentication?) and fork the repo for them, then copy their github
branch to this fork and open the MR.

I like it!
Although I think in a lot of the cases people who already have a gitlab.gnome.org account will know not to submit PRs at GitHub :-)

> Also tag the maintainer's GitHub account (if they have one) in the auto-close message,
> so they get a notification?

Isn’t a mention on our gitlab instance enough in that case?

Probably, yes

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker