Re: Clarifications regarding GNOME Online Accounts

Thank you for the clarification! As someone that had been confused about the intent and ended up relying on GOA in my third party app, it’s nice to see the intention spelled out so clearly.

I just wanted to mention an interesting challenge in having open source apps handle this themselves. Let’s take Google as an example. According to their developer terms of service [1]:

“Developer credentials (such as passwords, keys, and client IDs) are intended to be used by you and identify your API Client. You will keep your credentials confidential and make reasonable efforts to prevent and discourage other API Clients from using your credentials. Developer credentials may not be embedded in open source projects.”

So in order for an open source project to access Google APIs, it would want build secrets. An interesting argument for flatpaks and snaps, where you could have those (as long as you don’t use a public builder).

Unfortunately, distros do not typically support build secrets. I’m not sure what to do in those cases. (And if a distro did support them, would they use their own API keys or act as a trusted handler for maintainers’ keys?)

GOA currently just embeds the API secret anyway, presumably because the realistic alternative is just not supporting Google. For my part, I’m not sure what to do. Short term, I’ll probably just keep coasting on GOA’s loose approach.

[1] https://developers.google.com/terms/