Re: Deprecating nautilus-sendto

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 13:56:10 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
You could but I would not recommend using xdg-email if your application
will be used outside of a Flatpak because it will end up running this
code:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/blob/master/scripts/xdg-email.in
which might, or might not work. It's brittle and ugly.

Would it be useful to have a non-Flatpak-specific name for Flatpak's
portal-friendly reimplementation of xdg-email, and install it on
host systems, not just in Flatpak containers? Or to have some sort of
non-command-based API for creating an email that can do all the things
flatpak-xdg-utils can, perhaps in GIO?

(Vaguely precedent: I've packaged flatpak-xdg-utils for Debian 10, to
make it more straightforward to build Flatpak runtimes out of Debian 10+
packages. At the moment the flatpak-xdg-utils tools are installed into
/usr/libexec rather than onto the PATH, and containers that want them
are expected to create their own symlinks, but there's no reason there
couldn't be a symlink at /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-portal-email or something.)

    smcv