Re: GitLab mirror considered harmful

If I understand correctly, a large part of the rationale for the github mirror was that it was supposed to result in additional code contributors,, since people who already contributed to other github projects would be more likely to check out the GNOME code if it was mirrored on github. What happens instead is that new contributors sometimes don't initially realize that they have checked out a read-only mirror, they go through the steps to submit a contribution on github only to have their merge request automatically closed, and they might feel frustrated. So I think that, unfortunately, the effect of the mirror has run counter to the stated goal.

-Mike