Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Mon, 2019-01-21 at 14:03 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
Hey,

I hadn't expected this to garner so much interest!

Instead of replying to each message separately, I'll try to summarize
a few things into this message.

First of all, this thread doesn't have anything to do with GNOME
Books. It's a separate application and doesn't have any Online
Accounts integration whatsoever. Books shares the gnome-documents Git
repository with GNOME Documents, and that's all. I can't even find it
in gnome-build-meta, which is again a separate discussion:
  [rishi@kolache gnome-build-meta]$ git grep gnome-books
  [rishi@kolache gnome-build-meta]$

Second, "evince" is a lot of different things. It could mean:
* everything that's in evince.git
* the libevdocument3.so.4 and libevview3.so.3 APIs
* /usr/bin/evince - the thing that opens files from Nautilus
* /usr/bin/evince-previewer - this is used for the GTK print preview,
  as Emmanuele pointed out, and has NoDisplay=true
* /usr/bin/evince-thumbnailer

So, for some definition of "evince", GNOME Documents has a hard
dependency on it. Ideally, the evince Git repository would be split
to disambiguate some of these components as far upstream as possible,
instead of relying on the various downstreams to get their packaging
right. But that's also a separate discussion. :)

So far, the only proposal or request I had seen is to build evince
without UI: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evince/issues/1048
IIUC, the outcome would be the same.

[...]
"Documents" are also notoriously complicated, as compared to music,
photos or videos. For example, if somebody is working on a thesis,
then everything from graphs to PDFs to the textual LaTeX sources to
screenshots can be considered a document.  That's almost impossible
to accommodate within the current reality of GNOME Documents.

The thesis user case looks to me like a corner case, and Documents
might be noisy because its scope of broader than a thesis. In a thesis,
a challenging part is to keep all the references (mostly papers)
"together", and hopefully to manage them in a way that is easier to
search, and cite.

I think Documents should not bother with that, because then it would
need features (or subset of them) provided by tools like Mendeley. I
mean, other than searching text in a collection of documents.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/