Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

[Responding selectively, this thread is getting long.]

Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
The main factor has always been about how we handle identity. If we
give online accounts access to 3rd party apps, we're giving them
access to the GNOME keys. They appear as "GNOME" to online providers
and their access is bundled up with our own. As a result, we lose the
ability to ensure that the GNOME keys are being used in accordance
with providers' terms and conditions.

This is because we never specified a way to get third party keys stored inside GOA as part of a process to
get third party modules to it.

If apps could provide their own keys that would certainly change the
picture (I didn't actually know it was a possibility.) It would also
change the nature of Online Accounts of course; it's always been
designed as part of the system, that's used by the system and the core
apps. Might take a little thought.

From a design perspective that's never been something we've wanted to
do, both from a branding and identity perspective, as well as from a
"oh shit we can't access Google any more, because some random app did
something they didn't like".

We can communicate that a key has been revoked by a service in the same way we communicate that the user
needs to re-authenticate themselves.

That would work if apps can provide their own keys. The concern in the
past has always been around GNOME's keys potentially being
blacklisted.

Allan