Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 11:54 -0600, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
Thing is, we don't have any email apps in core. It just doesn't make
sense to have email settings in gnome-online-accounts when none of
the core apps (the apps installed by default) actually use those
settings. It's just going to confuse users with settings that don't
do anything.

        Hi,
I guess, in that case, you can safely drop also the Microsoft Exchange
accounts from GOA. The main consumer, as far as I know, is
evolution-data-server, through evolution-ews. While the mail accounts
configured with evolution-ews can work without Evolution, evolution-ews
depends on Evolution, thus it brings it in. The evolution-ews also runs
on the background evolution-data-server processes (factories and the
source registry). You can access calendars/contacts/tasks/memos without
using the mail part, but the main advantage of the Microsoft Exchange
is the integration of all those 5 parts (something which is against
GNOME design and the way it is led in the last years, I know).

I mean, hiding the Mail switch from GOA for Microsoft Exchange accounts
doesn't make sense. It may even confuse the users.

It also seems like using GOA by core apps (is evolution-data-server
considered an app, maybe it's just 'core') is meant only from GNOME
desktop. At least according to gnome-control-central behavior, which
rejects to access GOA when not running under GNOME for couple releases
now [1]. It got better, because it's crashing in 3.30.2, while it
opened an empty tab before. This is probably unrelated, unless it's an
intention, similar to drop documents support from GOA.
        Bye,
        Milan

[1] Evolution adds "Open Settings" button for GOA accounts, to make
    life easier to the users. It calls:
       gnome-control-central online-accounts
    which did work several releases ago, regardless which desktop
    environment the user used.
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/issues/66
    Maybe if GOA settings could be called out of the
    gnome-control-central? Users do need to go there from time to time.
    On the other hand, with flatpak and its inaccessibility of
    the system gnome-control-central it doesn't matter as that much.