Re: System-wide dark mode

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 09:58, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
The current behavior, in our current world where there is no dark mode preference, is that if you select a dark theme, a ton of websites break, because most websites are not prepared for dark mode and will draw e.g. dark text on dark backgrounds. So if we make dark mode an officially-supported option, the very least we need to do is force light mode on all websites, even if dark mode is enabled, to avoid this breakage.

Somewhat relatedly, it would be good to have a policy about how WYSIWYG content editors (word processors, image editors, email apps, etc) should behave with regard to dark mode for the content view itself, since people using dark mode may prefer the content view to reflect the mode (i.e. default to a dark document background), however that may have unintended effects when the content is viewed elsewhere.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>