Re: Maintainers should announce build-related changes in their modules

On Fri, 13 Sep, 2019 at 10:21, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 10:12 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel- list wrote: <snip>
Not every single problem we have in building a complex project like GNOME can be solved by a script; if it were, we wouldn't need maintainers, and y'all would have been replaced by a script already.
This doesn't sound one bit nice or polite.

I apologise for the rudeness.

I'd like to apologise in advance for the time that I'll also forget to send a mail to the release-team, or wondering why I need to tell the release-team when I bump a dependency that's going to be shipped with the new GNOME anyway, such as GTK or glib.

If a dependency is already in the GNOME SDK then there's no real need to notify us; unless, of course, the dependency in the SDK is pinned to a specific version, and you require a later one.

As I said in the original email, before this detour into whether humans can or should be automated out of their jobs, this is definitely more important for dependencies hosted outside of gitlab.gnome.org.

Ciao,
Emmanuele.