Re: How to detect a gtk desktop programmatically

On 4/29/20 4:17 PM, Tres Finocchiaro via desktop-devel-list wrote:
I'd like to disclaim that since I'm not an OpenJDK developer, the upstream decision may very-well be to attempt to load Gtk when the system is anything other than Windows or MacOS.  I can't speak on behalf of the end-strategy of OpenJDK and I do not represent them or their solution to this problem.

That said, for reasons mentioned above as well as evidence in Gnome's codebase, Debian's codebase and Java's codebase, I observe a valid use-case for asking if the desktop environment is Gtk-based.  To deny that suggests that solutions which check are invalid, or contain no value and I believe this perspective to be short-sighted as admittingly my sight is as well.

-Tres

Not a Gnome/GTK/OpenJDK developer but it sounds like you're asking for the wrong thing. What you need is standard way of getting a list of UI toolkits(GTK/QT/whatever) installed. It doesn't matter what the desktop is, only that GTK is installed.

Good luck with that, by the by. Even if you could somehow get Gnome/KDE/whomever to agree to implement such a thing(ha!), distros will find a way to break it somehow.