Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Georges Basile Stavracas Neto via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
It doesn't allow me to log out of the servers.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. What would that action achieve as a result?

Matrix apparently
doesn't allow turning off federation, and to me that's a no-go aspect of it.

It does. Plenty of deployments are internal and not federated. I disagree that we should not federate, just as I don’t think we should block any non gnome.org email address to sent email to gnome.org email addresses, but it can be done and it’s trivial.

At last, I have a strong impression that Matrix suffers from feature bloat.

I’m sure you would get angry at a user for saying the same thing about GNOME. You can probably do better than that.

Rocket.Chat has been apparently more responsive to out contact,

Quite the unbacked statement when Matthew has been actively participating in Matrix related discussions on our lists (and I don’t recall ever seeing any such discussions for Rocket.chat here).

and even accepted a few pull requests from us.

I have no idea what this is about, but the Fractal team is in constant contact with the rest of the Matrix ecosystem. Some of our contributors have contributed to Matrix, some Matrix contributors have contributed to Fractal…

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker