Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:16 pm, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
Not immediately relevant to the issue but would help me as I’m a bit
confused: weren’t *you* on Matrix rather than IRC?

No, I was using IRC.

I’m pretty sure one gets at least a notification in the GIMPNet IRC
Bridge status conversation that goes along the lines of:

Received an error on irc.gimp.org: err_nosuchnick
["AlexandreFranke","someircnick","No such nick/channel"]

At least I did a couple weeks ago when I tried to send a message to an
IRC user. I would then agree that it is far from ideal, but it would
also clearly not as dramatic as you paint it.

Hm, if so, then that doesn't seem so bad. But this is the first I've heard of that. I've had multiple users tell me their messages are being dropped without any warning. I've just asked Jan-Michael to look at your comment and his response is: "no, nothing," meaning he's not receiving any such error message. That said, he uses fractal and chatty, not Riot, so *maybe* it could be a deficiency with those clients, but I suspect the newer contributor who had trouble messaging me was using Riot.

The Matrix folks offered to host our instance on
[Modular](https://modular.im/) just like they already do for KDE and
now Mozilla too[1], so sysadmin time is not a problem, is it?

modular.im would be amazing! I didn't know about gnome.modular.im. If it's good enough for Mozilla, surely it must be good enough for us.

Michael