Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:45 pm, Jan Alexander Steffens via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
We currently have loads of garbage IRC users in the channels after the bridge hosted at matrix.org was replaced with one hosted at the gnome.org homeserver. The old bridge left its Matrix users in the rooms and the new bridge dutifully bridges them over to IRC. Maybe they tried to contact one of these users.

This is another longstanding issue, but it's unrelated. The problem I'm complaining about occurs when people try to contact my actual IRC account, not any ghost account.

Yes, we have lots of fake users with [m] after their name, and that's another big problem, since PMs to them also go to nowhere. The problem there is simply that you can never log off once you join the IRC bridge (or, if such a way exists, it's so hard to discover that the GNOME community is not using it). So if you try the IRC bridge once just to see what it's like, you're forever left with a ghost user account that people will send private messages to without realizing you can't read them (or even public messages, if your real account is offline).

The solution to both problems is to shut down the IRC bridge.

Michael