Re: .92 tarball deadline and hard code freeze

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 3:39 pm, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Schedule:

* Saturday, Feb 29: 3.35.92 tarball deadline and hard code freeze
* Saturday, March 7: 3.36.0 tarball deadline
* Wednesday, March 11: GNOME 3.36.0 release day

Another important date is Wednesday, March 4. For the first time, we have a translation deadline, at 23:59 UTC on March 4. Please do not release any 3.36.0 tarballs before March 5 in order to give translators time to finish their work. If you can't release 3.36.0 during the tight window between March 5 and March 7, please let release team know so we can do it for you.

I noticed we had some 3.34.4 releases recently with no changes except to translations. This churn results in users being prompted to reboot to install updates that are not applicable except in select locales. Since 3.36, we now have a translation deadline baked into the schedule, so there's no longer need to roll stable tarballs just for late translations. (And certainly we should avoid this so late as .4.)

Thanks,

Michael