Re: Reminder: action required when updating dependencies or build options

On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 10:06 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, after I committed the typo to Calendar, I promised to use
merge requests from now on when committing build fixes. Previously, I
had promised to do this only for your projects, but yesterday I
forgot,
and not for the first time. I understand that's frustrating. From now
on, I'll use MRs for all projects that use CI. I had already promised
this in [1] in hopes of smoothing things over with you, but I see
that
didn't work. I had also attempted to apologize via IRC.

"I need to remember not to [push commits directly to the main branch]
for your modules, sorry"

 You are right
about the importance of MRs.

I actually did at first temporarily switch libgweather.bst to use a
3.36 release tarball when I didn't see any easy way to fix your vapi
file [2]. This turned out to not be needed because, with some help

It was still needed. There were 8 modules that needed to have their
compatibility checked, for which I filed individual issues.

The vapi fix wasn't going to be enough to fix the other 7 modules, and
waiting for those fixes to roll in could have happened in a branch for
gnome-build-meta, with that module's CI making sure that all the ducks
were in a row, and each fix actually peer-reviewed (or at least CI
checked).

I hope you'll reconsider your decision to drop libgweather over this.

This isn't what made me drop libgweather. This was the last straw. What
started it was this commit which you pushed directly to the main
branch, and claimed that building was broken for weeks. It was broken
for a couple of hours:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/grilo-plugins/-/commit/4329dda2c53f9a7bd2a3f6dd9334d4eb5207e9fd

And similar behaviour over the years where you seemed to be under the
impression that I was the only person in GNOME that felt that peer-
reviewed patches and CI-gated merge requests were a requirement.

Until the main development branch is protected and it's not possible to
push directly there, I don't see myself being interested in
contributing to modules where I filled the maintainer gap.