[Evolution] problems sending mail (mailbox

I'm trying to get Evolution working w/verizon.  This
seems to be a well known problem (on both Debian and
other unix flavors) but I can't find a solution to it
on the web anywhere...

I get an error: "

MAIL FROM response server: Requested action not taken:
mailbox name not allowed.

I'm running ximian evolution 1.4.6 and trying to
connect to outgoing.verizon.net..

I am running Evolution 1.4.5 on my laptop - which
works fine with another SMTP server.

Thanks if you have any hints... (It's not the "pound
sign in the /etc/hosts file problem)...

ps - I can receive mail at lauriejo verizon net just
fine.. (so reply to that if you reply)  Thanks, Laurie