Re: [Evolution] Feature requests

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 11:13:02AM +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
putting this back to the mailing list since i suspect you of having had
this intention... :-)

Thanks andre, you have done a lot of work. I would have done this over the
week end, now since you have done this I might learn something else about
evolution instead. You have saved me lot of my work.

<CRITICAL> Mail storage should not be plain text</CRITCAL> (10 out of
10 clients I have visited, want this feature, they are living with
evolution currently without this feature)

not plain, but...? encrypted? why not use an encrypted file system?
don't think that's an evolution issue at all, you can also use s/mime or
gpg/pgp for encrypting single mails. :-)

I dont want mails to be visible to anyone. If we use encrypted filesystem,
it is only during the bootup that it will ask for password. Users usually
boot their system in the morning and it remains available for extended
periods.
If there are 5 admins who know the root passwords for this system, you
never know when the admin read the CEO's mails using SSH to the system.

Instead if you can store the messages in something like a PST (for example), only
evolution can prompt for the password and decrypt the file.

It should also be possible to just copy the files to a new location for
recovery purposes. Files should not depend on a specific version or
installation of evolution. This is important since it is very easy to
develop a key when evolution starts first time and then use that key to
encrypt the mails, the problems are obvious with this method.

Check how groupwise stores its mails on the local machine. It does a very
good job of providing secure access to mails

3. Download Headers only - this is my favorite Outlook XP feature

use imap instead of pop3. :-)

problem with imap is it keeps downloading the mail eveytime I start evolution,
these features are desired when you have slow/expensive internet connection. In
these cases evolution should only syncronise the mails instead of downloading
 the mails again in IMAP.

6. Unread Mails folder - this is something like VFolders but is an
automatic feature of Outlook XP. All unread mails are also seen in
this folder  so one does not have to go hunting for them thro various
folders

just set up a vfolder doing this, shouldn't be too hard. one could only
discuss if it should exist by default, in my opinion.

This is a nice to have feature, it for users to feel at home with evolution
when they migrate from outlook.
Its perfectly fine to configure vfolders for this feature.

6. Filters should have option of working automatically or being
disabled when not needed.

http://bugzilla.ximian.com/buglist.cgi?keywords=filters&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
will show all open filter requests, your one should be bug 1011 and/or
bug 1128.

My personal requests :
1. Mails should not be downloaded again in IMAP. Keep them offline by
default. Currently I have to manually configure evolution and select
folders for which mails will be stored offline and also I have to go
offline to store them offline.

hmm... i'm not that sure but if i remember correctly, offline caching is
planned for 2.2.

Not sure if this is the right place to as this :
Seperate question : Will gropuwise be supported in 2.2, will the
modifications on the groupwise server be available when 2.2 is out?

cheers,
andre