[Evolution] Re: Local delivery Option in Receiving Mail [ Was Re: [Evolution] Help me switch to evolution]

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 16:22 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
Answering my own question

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 16:02 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 09:47 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 10:21 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>

> > > The thing is like this, everytime evo needs to refresh messages, (mbox
> > > format) it needs to re-parse/re-indexes the folders. (This is esp. true
> > > for /var/spool/mail/$whoami folders.) I get hang up every so often when
> > > new messages are in the mail folder.
> >
> > That cannot be avoided if you chose this slow method of accessing your
> > email.
> >
> > You should be using 'local delivery' option and copying mail into
> > evolution itself.
>
> Okay.. I just re-looked at the options and I just noticed the "local
> delivery" option.
>
> Pardon me but I don't get the explanation.
>
> Standard mbox
>   For reading and storing local main in external mbox spool mail
>
> local delivery
>   For retrieving(moving) local mail from standard mbox formatted spools
>   into folders managed by evolution
>
> Does local delivery means it will check /var/spool/mail/`whoami` for new
> mails and then move those mails from that spool directory to the
> Evolution's "On This Computer" folder? (in the Inbox Folder?)
>
> Currently what is happening is, all new mails gets sent to mbox
> in /var/spool/mail/`whoami`, I scan that mbox for new mails and filter
> those messages to "On this computer" 's respective folders under "INBOX"
The reason the 'spool' thing is slow is that it needs to do things like fully re-scan the mailbox every time it opens it - being a global file, any other application may have altered it since it was last looked at, etc.  The scan normally just checks to see if X-Evolution headers are there though - so it can find the messages when they're requested.  But if any new messages are there, it has to rewrite the mailbox while it is still locked, so the x-evolution header and unique identifier isn't lost.

> Does this local delivery means, evo will sort of like POP the mails from
> the mbox spool and automatically transfer the emails into "On This
> Computer" (& the respective folders?)

Okay.. I just tried this out and it seems like my last statement is
true. I think this might just be better then. ( I learned a new thing
today)

But what happens to the Local Delivery Folder? It's still showing on the
left pane and when I click on it, it keeps telling me.... "Loading"

Hmm, that just sounds like a bug, it definitely shouldn't show.  It is probably 'confused' since you ran it and then changed the type.  I suspect if you restart it will vanish properly.