Re: [Evolution] Evolution multilingual spellchecking in Debian Etch (Newbie).

Hi Andre,

On 12/3/06, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
hi brian,

Am Sonntag, den 03.12.2006, 17:53 +0100 schrieb Brian Durant:
> I just installed Debian Etch (rc1) on an IBM A50p and am trying to
> wrap my head around multilingual spellchecking in Evolution (2.6.3). I
> managed to get English and Danish spell checking to work by installing
> aspell, ispell, myspell, and ienglish, idanish and gnome-spell.
>
> My problem is that I would like to get Indonesian spellchecking to
> work as well.

you need gnome-spell >= 1.0.7 to have indonesian spell-checking in
evolution [1].

I have gnome-spell 1.0.7.1

>  As I don't know which spelling system Evolution uses

make sure you have gnome-spell >= 1.0.7, aspell and aspell-XX (where XX
is your locale, for example aspell-en for US English or aspell-en-uk for
British English) installed, depending on your distribution package
system. Evolution does not use myspell, ispell or the OpenOffice.org
dictionaries.

OK, I have both aspell-en and aspell-da. I can't find any aspell-id in
the Debian repository.

> and because the Evolution documentation refers to using Ximian Red
> Carpet (!!!) to install extra dictionaries,

this is a bit better in the evolution 2.8 documentation, it now says:
"To choose a spell-checking language, select it here. You must install
the gnome-spell package, available through ZENworks(TM) Linux
Management, for spell-checking to be available in Evolution. Additional
dictionaries are also available through Red Carpet(TM) and are detected
automatically if you have installed them. You must also install the
aspell package. If this is the case, please contact your packager."

OK, I have the gnome-spell package and aspell without using ZENworks.
As far as Red Carpet is concerned, I thought it was defunct after
Novell bought out Ximian. Sorry, but I still don't understand how to
get an aspell-id package except maybe through this URL :
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/id/ I don't really see how this
help file is any more helpful for a newbie as there are absolutely no
instructions (as quoted) that explains the process of installing extra
dictionaries.

cheers,
andre

[1] http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-spell/gnome-spell/dictionary.c?r1=1.38&r2=1.39

I can see a difference in this link between a version version 1.38 and
version 1.39 for something called "dictionary.c" that has something to
do with the "gnome-spell" package, but again, I really don't
understand what I am looking at or how this will help me to get
Indonesian "aspell" working. Is what I did with trying to compile and
install aspell5-id-1.2-0.tar.bz2 correct? Should I have used
aspell-id-0.50.1-0.tar.bz2 instead? Or do I need to do something
totally different?

Cheers,

Brian