[Evolution] OpenLDAP/evolution problem.

Hi all,

Not sure which mail list I need - openldap or evolution. Sorry if you feel I'm wrong here. I've done my googling, and have been struggling with ldap for a few years now (on and off). Now my company has one more staff, I really have the need of a shared address book, and now I just want it to work. Hence my request for support.

I'm running OpenLDAP on my Debian Etch server, it is running fine - I have added many contacts (long time ago) via Evolution, and running:
ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=squirrel-systems,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'
gives the expected results.

Now I want to access this ldap directory from Evolution, running on my Mandriva 2007 spring installation. This doesn't work well. Long time ago I had it more or less working, that's how I got the contacts in, but now not at all.

In Evolution, I add the address book with the server, and ask for "get search base". Then it correctly returns "dc=squirrel-systems,dc=com". So there is a connection with the OpenLDAP server! However that's all: I don't get any contacts listed.

Furthermore, I would like to be able to organise my contacts in a handful of address books, such as personal and business. How to go about that? I can get only one search base now.

When running lat (LDAP Admininistration Tool) on my Mandriva box, I can log on to the server anonymously, and see all my contacts in seemingly good order. So the OpenLDAP server seems to serve its data well. But not to Evolution.

Also on my iBook, OSx 10.3.9, the "address book" application can not connect properly and get the contact data.

Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

Wouter.