Re: [Evolution] 24 hour clock?

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 09:50 -0700, Des Dougan wrote:
I start Evolution with "LC_TIME=en_GB evolution" which gives me the
format I want, (UK date and time format).

Go one further: put it in .bashrc (and, assuming you source .bashrc
from .bash_profile, it'll run no matter what) so that regardless of how
you execute Evolution (command line, Alt-F2 Run Dialog, a Launcher, a
Menu, etc) your preferences will be set. I use "en_DK" to get the time
format 24 hour.

        export LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
        export LC_TIME=en_DK
        export LC_MESSAGES=C

That is,

* Canadian English is my language; UTF-8 enabled.

* Use "en_DK" (god knows where that came from) but it seems to do dates
and times properly, as opposed to that 12 hour nonsense. Yes, that sure
seems like an ugly hack.

* The last one is because I'm happy with the default untranslated
(usually English) strings in most programs. I ran into problems,
otherwise.

This whole thing has always struck me as a bit unconfigurable;
localization is founded on the idea that there is a "right" way for
different locations/cultures, but frankly this a bit ludicrous; even
still I haven't found a way to format the date in the clock applet, for
example. {sigh}.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Managing Director

Sydney    +61 2 9977 6866
New York  +1 646 472 5054
Toronto   +1 647 477 5603
London    +44 207 1019201

We are an operations engineering consultancy focusing on strategy,
organizational architecture, systems review, and change management
procedures: enabling successful use of open source in mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/