Re: [Evolution] OT: Re: evolution-2.32.1 (FreeBSD HEAD) && calendar not working

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 21:06 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Ew, that's horridly broken. You should get a better ISP :)

Talking of horribly broken - and following on from the previous OT
discussion - this email you sent has broken threading.

No it doesn't.

Matthias' message of 16:23:11+0200 has

And my response, accordingly, has the corresponding

My reply is therefore shown quite correctly as being a reply to
Matthias' message: http://david.woodhou.se/threads.png

Why? I suspect because you replied to the one you got through the
FreeBSD list and those messages don't match up with any I have from
the Evolution list.

That explanation doesn't make much sense; it sounds like you don't quite
understand how threading works.

As it happens, I replied to the version of the message that I received
through the Evolution list; I'm not actually subscribed to the FreeBSD
list. Not that it makes any difference; when a message is sent to both
lists, or to individuals as well as mailing lists, the Message-Id: on
all copies of the message will remain the same. It's the *same* message.
So all the threading works normally regardless of which route the
message arrives by.

There *was* some brokenness before, as I pointed out to Matthias. He
explained that it was caused by the fact that he was forwarding messages
from one account to another, then replying from the second account. So
*his* replies had broken threading information, because he was replying
to his own forwarded message; not my message to which he *should* have
been replying.

But it's OK now because I'm keeping in him directly in Cc. So he can
reply directly to my messages, and doesn't have to forward the list
traffic to the account that he replies from.

[1] If the CC person is also on the mailing list, the mailing list
software doesn't send a copy to them, hence the only copy the person
gets is a one without any of the mailing list headers,

That's an *option* in mailman; you can turn it off.

--
dwmw2