Re: [Evolution] Is this a Template plugin bug

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 10:24 -0800, John Stile wrote:
I have noticed a lot of folders in my evolution client instance are
being copied into other folders, but I never see a conformation dialog,
so discovery is always a surprise to me.

        Hi,
it shouldn't do that on its own. Check your message filters, if there
are any, both Incoming and Outgoing. You can find them in Edit->Message
Filters. The message can go to Templates folder also when saving message
as a template, but it should not copy whole folder, just the selected
message, thus I guess this is related to filters (or an accidental
drag&drop of the IMAP Sent folder?).

Recently my Sent folder from an IMAP account was copied into the "On
This Computer"->Templates folder, which resulted in what I think might
be a bug.  Staring evolution, it uses 1.5Gb RES memory (in top).  After
startup stabilizes, clicking on a 1k previously-read message memory
usage jumps to 2.4Gb RES memory.  Clicking on another 1k previously-read
message, memory usage jumps to 4.5Gb RES memory.  Clicking on the first
message, memory usage jumps to 8Gb RES memory.  Eventually with no
memory left, there is a bad memory allocation, SIGTRAP, and the program
is killed.  In strace, the file handle allocating all the memory was
for /usr/lib64/evolution/2.32/plugins/liborg-gnome-templates.so"

I am on Evolution 2.32.3, until Gnome3 stabilizes in gentoo.

You are right, there was a bug in the templates plugin, it leaked
heavily on each popup menu update, which is updated on each message
change, regardless you show the popup menu or not. There were done some
fixes regarding memory leaks in time of 3.0 and 3.2, and even some minor
for current stable, 3.6.
        Bye,
        Milan