Re: [Evolution] Saving PGP-encrypted mails as clear text

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 13:49:32 +0100, Dulsea Liang wrote:
Preventing users from saving encrypted mail without encryption is
certainly a good idea. I would however argue that GnuPG is not the
ideal solution to encrypt locally stored e-mails.

Hi,

encrypting emails is not safe at all, even if one party cares about
pitfalls of encryption, another party usually does not. I treat emails
as postcards and have given up encrypting emails a long time ago.

In some even Western democratic countries, IIRC e.g. in Great
Britain, imprisonment for contempt can be ordered by the court, if
a guiltless, but suspect person does not decrypt all emails.

IOW if all parties handle encrypted mails in a perfectly secure way,
they still aren't secure.

Btw. I lost some private keys and aren't be able to decrypt very old
mails, that are still on my computer. I wonder if that could lead to
never-ending imprisonment for contempt.

Even in Germany, that AFAIK was the country with the best data privacy
act, the politicians started to debase the data privacy act related to
computer and telephone privacy. They claim that they want to fight hate
speech, incitements to murder etc. from neo-Nazis, Islamists etc., but
actually they are after freedom of expression done by peaceful people,
such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_destruction_of_the_CDU . The
legal changes are ineffective to fight criminals, but they are very
effective to suppress upright citizens.

No data on a computer is secure. IOW the easiest solution for you
would be to not use encryption at all. Why using encryption in
the first place and after that to store unencrypted emails?

2 Cents,
Ralf