[Gimp-user] Converting an image from square to round question

Thank you Rich, but I did use those exact steps. The issue is that
even though the "square" is transparent, it is still there. When I
then open the rounded .png file in Meshcam (the software I am using
for the next step in my process) it is displayed with the square
again.

It is the application displaying the png that is to blame. Some will 'honour'
the transparency mask, others not.

example screenshot: left to right

Top -Browsers: Firefox **not** - Slimjet browser does

Bottom - viewers: viewer1 does - viewer2 **not**.

That does not mean that the end result will not be ok. In your case, you will
only really know when you etch something.

Since your application is for CNC why not

1. Same steps then export as a .bmp file. The Meshcam web page says bmp is ok
and bmp supports transparency. (although you might have to try the compatibility
option in the bmp export dialog)

2. There is a Meshcam forum, ask the question there.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/624/original/compare.jpg

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)