ANNOUNCE: karpski-0.9c

Greetings GNOME users/developers:

I would like to announce the availibility of my latest work; karpski.

Karpski is a sniffer, currently tested only on Redhat 5.0 linux.

Features
--------
-- XWindows + Gtk output
-- Identifies Raw 802.3, SNAP, 802.3/802.2 AND Ethernet II packets.
-- Allows for on screen watches of one connection or all traffic for a
   particular network station.
-- Automatic location of network stations
-- Includes a frame/protocol description language to add other protocols.
-- Allows you to "freeze" a network list and have the program inform you
   of when a new station comes up.
-- Allows to-disk captures of most frame type / protocol combos.
-- Allows to-disk captures of unidentifiable packets.
-- Allows one to launch user configurable programs at any IP speaking
   station on your network.
-- Watch realtime statistics on your whole network or on a particular
  station.
-- Plays a scanning sound (currently KITT's scanning sound from Knight
   Rider)
-- GNU GPL licensing - source code included; your freedom assured.

Protocols supported on any level
--------------------------------
IP (UDP, ICMP, TCP, IGMP - all others identified only)
Ethertalk
Appletalk AARP
Novell
SNMP
Cisco ID packets (frame type 2000)
All IANA registered 802.3/802.2 Ethernet frames

I have been working towards a multithreaded sniffer; I am not there yet
(there is no threading currently).  I released this program because my
former employer (Trusted Information Systems, Inc) just got acquired by
Network Associates who own several different sniffers.  I didn't want to see
this program taken away from me so I GPL'd it.  I feel that this program
should be shared and improved by the free software community.  After all, I
run Linux, Enlightenment, XFree86, The Gimp, use Gtk, etc.  For these I paid
$50 - the price of Redhat 5.0.  Not a bad deal :)

Please let me know if the GNOME project (or anyone else) is interested in
using this program.  Today was the day I released this program and already
I've gotten over 1,400 hits to my distribution page and very positive
feedback, even from those users who couldn't get it to work :)

http://mojo.calyx.net/~btx/karpski.html

You also need libpcap:

ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov

Included in the distribution is a patch for libpcap.  Make sure you have no
other libpcaps in your ldpath before linking.

Take care,
Brian Costello
btx@calyx.net