ANNOUNCE: Kiwi 0.5.0

I'm releasing today version 0.5.0 of Kiwi, a framework for developing
graphical applications using Python and based on PyGTK. This is the
sixth public release of Kiwi, and in this version it has evolved into a
quite complete application framework, with many perks and niceties. Grab
the latest code from:

    http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/

If you are looking for something to make Python applications using GTK
*much* easier to code, more Python-like, and with extended widget
functionality, try Kiwi. This release adds a complete development guide
and API documentation (generated with Edward Loper's excellent epydoc
tool), the guide itself providing a lot of information on Kiwi
development:

    http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/howto/

Kiwi is used in Stoq (www.stoq.com.br), a GPLed retail system that is
based on Python and PyGTK, and for internal development at SecurePipe,
Inc. (www.securepipe.com).

Kiwi is free software licensed through the GNU LGPL.

Features include:

- MVC-like base classes to structure an application into logical
  modules, including a Visual Proxy, Delegates and traditional Views and
  Controllers.
- Full, transparent support for libglade, allowing UI development to be done
  graphically, and keeping implementation inside your instance of the
  framework.
- Automatic signal connection based on function names; no need to
  connect() manually or use Glade's signal interface
- Enhanced CList, CTree, OptionMenu, Label and Combo classes based on
  the related PyGTK widgets.
- A complete development guide, and complete API documentation.
- Examples and tests, and lots of code.

This update provides:

- Complete API documentation and a detailed guide full of examples and
  screenshots.
- Proxy and Model classes, that provide a way to attach an instance to
  an interface and have it be instantly updated without requiring any
  extra coding. This is a very special feature that apps *much* easier
  to code.
- CListDelegate, a configurable CList that provides a very high-level
  API for listing instances and configuring the CList width, visibility,
  alignment, tooltips and more.
- We now have Delegate classes (combined Views and Controllers) that
  provide even more simplified ways to create interfaces.
- The Kiwi license has been changed to LGPL in preparation for the first
  major release.
- Serious optimizations to CList reordering.
- Lots of code cleanup and refactoring.
- Docstrings for all public methods and classes.
- Over 15 example programs and 17 different tests.
- Meaningless statistics:
    Diff changes: +16049/-11521; Checkins: 522; LOC: 4520(raw), 2429(sloc)
    11 modules, 31 classes, 278 methods

Many thanks to Jon Nelson, Ricardo Froehlich and Johan Dahlin for
helping out with this version; lots of regression testing, suggestions
and code examples were contributed by them.

Kiwi Homepage:
    http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/

Online documentation:
    HOWTO: http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/howto/
    API reference: http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/api/

Download Kiwi 0.5.0 from
    http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/dl/Kiwi-0.5.0.tar.gz

We have Bonsai and Bugzilla available for Kiwi:
    http://bonsai.async.com.br/
    http://bugs.async.com.br/

Feedback can come directly to me, kiko async com br, or through the
PyGTK list, pygtk daa com au

If you are using Kiwi in your project, it would be really nice to drop
me a line and let me know, I would like to add a list to the homepage
but I don't know most of you :)

I know I promised this the last time, but development focus shifted to
the framework and documentation; this means there is still no validated
Entry. The next major release will include a reworked Entry widget that
offers right-alignment (contributed by Johan) and validation.  This work
has progressed nicely but is still not quite ready, so I chose to leave
it out for now.

Take care,