ANNOUNCE: GSwitchIt 2.3.3/libxklavier 0.90

GSwitchIt GNOME XKB toolkit version 2.3.3 "Usability über всего"

This release shows major usability improvements. I am grateful to all
the GNOME folks who helped to make GSwitchIt better (more usable) than
it was earlier (especially to Murray Cumming for the first serious
review of GSwitchIt - it was very useful and insightful for me). I
realize there is still long way to go in this direction ("..with a
little help from my friends"...:) but even current L&F is much more
coherent to overall GNOME environment (well, IMHO). Even though
GSwitchIt did not make its way into GNOME 2.4 (and for the good
reasons), this release is a kind of "feature freeze" thingie.
Functionally GSwitchIt is generally complete. There are known problems
with the preview (well, bonobo is a hard thing for me to deal with) - so
please do not send bug reports regarding the stuff you get after
pressing the "Preview" button. I know about these problems and hopefully
one day I will nail them (it seems I really need a hand from Jaka Mocnik
on this subject).

Some power users of the previous version can notice some minor
regression in the functionality available through GUI - but the backend
still supports all the features (they are available by direct
manipulations with GConf and probably will be documented at some point).

The new exciting GUI features:

1. XKB configuration capplet was heavily redesigned. It now has
"Advanced mode" which allow user to work with the properties he would
not want to play with in 99% cases. In default mode, user has enough
control to make the necessary configuration.

2. The keyboard layout preview now uses separate window. At least people
will see ggv widget in all its beauty.

3. Errors related to known bugs of XFree 4.3.0 are reported more
clearly.

4. The applet properties now work in "instant-apply" mode. Also, flag
file names are calculated from the layout name - so the flag file
chooser is gone (for happy users of XFree 4.3.0+).

5. The applet is now able to display layout name (actually, turned on by
default because of political reasons) - so if user wants to see the
flags, he/she should explicitly ask for it. This feature made some
pixmaps included in the previous releases obsolete.

6. The applet now handles launches of setxkbmap utility much more
correctly.

7. Some strings were replaced in order to make UI simpler for users
(this is especially important for always-confising "secondary" layouts).
Also, a lot of new translations (and translation updates) were made.
Thanks to folks from GTP.

8. Some number of bugs was fixed

9. Quite possibly, new bugs were introduced.

About "old" X servers (other than XFree.4.3.0+). Right now, there are
~10 code fragments which behave differently depending on the server
version (actually, depending on the ability to support multiple
layouts). In a fight for better usability, the number of such places can
grow. So there is a chance this will be the last version of GSwitchIt
supporting old X servers (by support here I mean positive responce to
bug reports).

As usual, all the stuff can be taken from

Regards,

--
Sergey

Description: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?=