[ANNOUNCE] Hippopotamus 0.1 - A source client for broadcasting in Ogg/Theora to an icecast2 server

Hello all,

Hippopotamus is a simple GStreamer/GTK based application which lets you stream Ogg/Theora video to a Icecast server. In other words, it acts as an easy to use source client for IceCast (2.x). At present, it can only stream video data from v4l devices (webcams, etc) - but I plan to add support for audio within the next one or two releases. Hippopotamus was inspired by the screencasting software Istanbul, and copies heavily from it.

The name Hippopotamus
======================

Well, I think I like hippopotami, and so I named it Hippopotamus. Besides, it gave me the oppurtunity to create such a cool logo[1]. My friend Sayan, however, thinks otherwise - and here’s his explanation for the name:

    * Hippos » Ancient Greek word for horse - signifying fast.
    * Potamos » Ancient Greek word for river, signifying a stream.

So, the combination of Hippos and Potamos, ie, Hippopotamus stands for fast streamer. OK - that was Sayan’s explanation, and not mine - I’ll simply stick to the fact that I have a fascination for hippopotami, and I like hippopotami.

About this release
==================

This is the very first release of Hippopotamus (codenamed "Bangalore"). I have just worked on it for approximately 2 days (that included my getting familiar with the GNOME DP and GStreamer), and the code is still in extreme alpha stage. It assumes that all the accessory elements of the streaming stack (Gstreamer, Icecast2, etc) are functioning perfectly and does not do _any_ kind of error checking/handling whatsoever. So please please, do not blame me if Hippopotamus gobbles up your entire harddisk or makes your head explode. Download and use it entirely at your own risk.

Website and download link
Homepage (screenshots):
http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings/hippopotamus/

Download link: http://sayamindu.randomink.org/software/hippopotamus/hippopotamus-0.1.tar.bz2