ANNOUNCE: Snowy 0.7 "Old English Sheepdog"

Hello friends of snowy,

I'm very happy to announce Snowy 0.7 "Old English Sheepdog"!

For the uninitiated, Snowy is a web-based viewer and syncing platform
for your Tomboy notes.  It's written in Python using the Django web
framework, and is licensed under the AGPL.

Tomboy Online is a GNOME hosted version of the Snowy software. It is
intended to provide free note sync and online note access to all users
who don't want to setup their own server.

This release features results of some of the things that we discussed
at the hackfest that took a bit longer to get done - a redesigned login
page and improvements to note management with notebooks. Furthermore, a
longstanding bug that prevented Snowy from working with Python 2.7 was
finally fixed. Furthermore, a command to check the current
configuration for validity was added to detect some common
configuration errors and make Snowy easier to try out.

This is also the first release after a change of maintainers. We (Jeff
Schroeder and me, Leon Handreke) as the new maintainers would like to
thank Sandy Armstrong for all of his contributions to Snowy and for
still being around to answer whatever questions we have for him!

Please keep in mind that Snowy is still alpha-quality software. We are
going to update the Tomboy Online alpha to this release soon, but
please be sure to always have a recent backup of your notes when using
Snowy - sometimes things really do go wrong.

To participate in the Tomboy Online alpha, please fill out this survey:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFZleG05V196b3g4VUFSTHhzcTRFMmc6MQ
Alternatively you can drop by on our IRC channel and simply ask us.

Also, we're getting ready to launch the Tomboy Online public beta soon
- so stay tuned for more news about that.

Please check out our website here: http://live.gnome.org/Snowy

You can download the latest release here:
http://download.gnome.org/sources/snowy/0.7/snowy-0.7.tar.bz2

Changes in this release:

* Improve login page look and error handling (#637614)
* Source local_settings instead of importing from it
* Prefer bundled python libs when system copies exist (#638149)
* Add new 'manage.py check' command (#638326)
* Show username in note breadcrumb if request.user != author (#625231)
* Support hiding note and notebook template notes
* Clicking a notebook name now takes you to a list of all notes
(#613884)
* Fix the longstanding python 2.7 bug (#638480)
* Make openid_complete view csrf_exempt
* Add Jeff and Leon as a maintainers (#645471)
* Set correct content-type for OAuth responses (#650073)

Contributors to this release include (in alphabetical order):

Sandy Armstrong, Jeff Fortin, Leon Handreke, Andrew Ruthven, Jeff
Schroeder and Adam Ziolkowski

You can see where we're planning on going by checking out our bug list:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=snowy

I also published a more general roadmap with a few ideas for the future
of snowy on my blog:
http://leonhandreke.tumblr.com/post/4317744725/snowy-the-road-ahead

All help is welcome! There are many small and big things to do in all
parts of the code, so whether you want to work on something under the
hood, the desktop web browser client or the mobile side of things, you
can make a difference with your contribution. Please join us on our
mailing list, snowy-list or on IRC (#snowy on irc.gnome.org) and we'll
help you get started.

I'd like to thank all contributors, users and other fans of Snowy for
their support. Keep rocking!

Leon Handreke