WebKitGTK+ 1.6.1 released!

After six months of work we are excited to announce the new 1.6 stable
series of WebKitGTK+ with the release of WebKitGTK+ 1.6.1.

http://webkitgtk.org/webkit-1.6.1.tar.gz
sha256sum:
05b09d851a04597d50fdca71ed8b09f5a0337d696b141a435255ae2095e140ad
md5sum: c11743694b1b71dad287b2e7a9e73b05

You may also access the stable branch directly from the SVN repository:
http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/releases/WebKitGTK/webkit-1.6

Future maintenance releases in the stable series will be made from this
branch.

What's new in the WebKitGTK+ 1.6 series
=======================================

WebKitGTK+ 1.6.x is the first stable series since our 1.4.0 series.
We have maintained API and ABI compatibility with 1.4.0.

  - The JavaScriptCore library is now installed independently as
    "libjavascriptcoregtk", and it comes with its own pkg-config file.
    This allows linking to JavaScriptCore without WebKitGTK+.

  - New DOM methods exist to check if editable areas have been modified
    by the user (webkit_dom_html_{input,text_area}_is_edited). A
    typical
    usecase for these APIs is to warn the user if they are leaving
    a page without submitting a form.

  - A few new spell checking APIs are added, which make implementing
    spell checking in a user agent much easier.

  - Added API to set local storage database path.

  - GTK+ 3.x is now the default toolkit for WebKitGTK+. GTK+ 2 is
    considered deprecated now and we will stop supporting it in future
    releases, so please try to move to GTK+3 in the near future.

  - Bug fixes galore: WebKitGTK+ contains all the bug fixes accumulated
    in the 1.5.x series including:
      * Fix documentation generation by specifying the sources directory
        with $(top_srcdir)
      * Bug 68797 - [GTK] pot file is not properly remove during
        distcheck
      * Bug 68600 - [GTK] REGRESSION: Empathy crashes when switching
        theme
      * Bug 68502 - [GTK] Fix build break when enabling webgl on r95593
      * Bug 68837 - [GTK] Do not ignore 'Replaceable' attributes in the
        DOM bindings
      * Create pot files in builddir
      * Remove G_CONST_RETURN usage throughout WebKit, it's deprecated
      in
        glib
      * Google Calendar no longer delivers the mobile interface to
        WebKitGTK+
      * So much more

  - Because our DOM bindings wrap some functionalities still in
    development in the W3C DOM working group, this release has changes
    that we could not avoid to keep the library API compatible. We
    assume nobody was seriously depending on these yet, but we still
    want to warn all users of this. They are as follow:
      * webkit_dom_blob_slice was renamed to
        webkit_dom_webkit_blob_slice, now webkit_dom_blob_slice is
        deprecated and a dummy function that calls the former.
      * webkit_dom_html_form_element_dispatch_form_change and
        webkit_dom_html_form_element_dispatch_form_input do not exist
        anymore, to avoid changing the API this functions are still
        there but they just print a warning message.

What is WebKitGTK+?
=================

WebKitGTK+ is the GNOME platform port of the WebKit rendering engine.
Offering WebKit's full functionality through a set of GObject-based
APIs, it is suitable for projects requiring any kind of web
integration, from hybrid HTML/CSS applications to full-fledged web
browsers.

Requirements:
===========

libsoup >= 2.33.6
cairo >= 1.10
fontconfig >= 2.4
FreeType2 >= 9.0
libxml >= 2.6

Depending on your configuration options WebKitGTK+ may also depend on:

libxslt >=1.1.7
sqlite >= 3.0
gstreamer >= 0.10
gstreamer-plugin-base >= 0.10.30
enchant >= 0.22

More information
================

If you want to know more about the project or get in touch with us
you may:

- Visit our website at http://www.webkitgtk.org, or the upstream
  site at http://www.webkit.org. People interested in contributing
  should read: http://www.webkit.org/coding/contributing.html.

- Browse the bug list at http://bugs.webkit.org, WebKitGTK+ bugs are
  typically prefixed by "[GTK]." A bug report with a minimal,
  reproducible test case is often just as valuable as a patch.

- Join the #webkit and #webkit-gtk IRC channels at irc.freenode.net.

- Subscribe to the WebKitGTK+ mailing list,
  http://lists.webkit.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/webkit-gtk, or the
  WebKit's development mailing list,

Thanks
======

Thanks to all the contributors who made possible this release, they
are far too many to list!

The WebKitGTK+ team,
September 28, 2011