Re: Size negotiation...

Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com> writes:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> On 29 May 2000, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> > I believe it quite possible that someone one day implements the bonobo
> > interfaces with KDE/QT in which case the size-negociation is -not to say
> > the least- _needed_.
>
> 	Of course, but it can go via. the X socket/plug. You are still
> going to need a socket/plug and I can't see why a toolkit would implement
> a socket/plug with no builtin size negotiation. Either way, it is not a
> difficult thing to add it seems.

I agree with MAthieu. Were it not for this kind of low-level code, you
wouldn't need a plug/socket on either side; it could just be ordinary
X windows. However, I think he's wrong that size negotiation is the
only thing that uses it. I think drag and drop is one other thing that
depends on the arcana of GtkPlug/Socket to work right.

> 	But we do that already it would seem to me, what is the problem ?

It would be nice to be able to implement non-gtk bonobo components
(perhaps by not using libbonobo and implemnenting the IDL interfaces
yourself). A step in that direction is a good step.

 - Maciej