Re: [gnome-cy] sut mae rhestr

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:23:10PM +0100 or thereabouts, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:11:12AM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> Some help with the glossary would be appreciated - and this is something
> that somebody new to Welsh might be good at, because things will be
> fresh for them.
>
> The original glossary is available here:
>
> 	http://muse.19inch.net/~daf/gnome-cy/glossary.html
>
> (This version is a hack I did to convert the original PO file into
> something resembling HTML.)
>
> It was developed before we did much actual translation. The list of
> English terms came from somewhere or other. Many of the translations
> were guesses. The glossary wasn't used much in the actual translation,
> but it was useful in that it generated discussion and provoked some
> thought. Many of the terms in there are not really relevant.

Part of it came from gnome-i18n/glossary in CVS. You can see it at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/cy/extras/index.html
and clicking on the name will give you a copy of the current po
file. These status pages are updated three times a day so are
reasonably current.

I suspect the glossary was originally generated by Sun people,
and is perhaps based on something they have in-house.  I keep
meaning to hassle the maintainer of the glossary to find out why
on earth it contains terms like "Actuator", which is not in many
English dictionaries and is a ridiculously technical term.
Especially since I am not aware of anywhere in Gnome it is used.

> The new glossary is available here:
>
> 	http://muse.19inch.net/~daf/gnome-cy/geirfa.html
>
> This is something I have started. It is much smaller, but it reflects
> the terms used in the actual translations much more accurately. It was
> intended as a reference for translators, and, perhaps, users. Terms were
> added to it as they occurred to me.
>
> I haven't really publicised the new glossary much yet. So let me do that
> now. It should be considered the canonical list of terms to be used in
> translating GNOME. If you disagree with it, please make your case for
> changing whatever you don't like about it. Anybody doing translation,
> this means you! Stick to it, or complain. Consider this a request for
> comments.

I shall dig out the links to the guidelines for writing (in English).
Not that they necessarily apply to Welsh, but people might be interested.

> What perhaps should be done is
>
>  1. take the old glossary
>  2. remove the terms already in the new glossary
> 	- should be fairly straightforward
>  3. remove the terms that aren't actually relevant
> 	- this requires knowing which terms are relevant. I'm not sure
> 	  how difficult that is

I have a moderately large collection of Gnome checked out of CVS.
Grepping for some of them should find some. And there is also a
list of "do not use these terms" for documentors in the guidelines
I mentioned.

> > Telsa (subject to correction :))
>
> No corrections here! Diolch, Telsa.

Coo :)